Friday, March 28, 2014

Tooth and Claw by Jim Arnosky



Lions and tigers and bears... and WOLVES-oh, my! Acclaimed nature writer and illustrator Jim Arnosky introduces awe-inspiring wild predators: carnivores that survive by tooth and claw. Follow the huge paw prints of big cats like the African lion and the speedy cheetah; of massive bears like the fierce grizzly; and the gray wolf- forerunner of your own pet dog. One spectacular double gatefold plus two single foldouts present the animals up close and lifelike.

My Thoughts:
The minute I looked at this book all I could think about was how amazing the illustrations are. The cover really took me in because of the detail and beauty that is portrayed while still showing just how ferocious a beautiful bear can be.

I knew I wanted to give this book to my dad, who has a true love and interest in wild animals, so that he could share it with my daughter. It was really nice watching them turn each page and get excited about what animal was going to be up next. The foldouts are stunning and engaging. They were both so interested in this book and all of the fun facts inside.

This book is beautiful and educational. While some could look at this cover and say it looks to frightening I fell it's full of important information. The book is intended for children ages 6-10, so it may not be the best choice for a toddler. But my daughter is almost 5 and she has a real appreciation and understanding for what is being taught in this book. These animals are predators. They hunt to survive and you should have a healthy fear of them. My daughter adores her teddy bear, but now she knows not to approach a bear in the wild. They are beautiful creatures... but they are wild animals. This book is really wonderful!

0 comments: