Thursday, January 24, 2013

Mommy Moment

So now that I am back in the world of being a stay at home mom, I wanted to try and get my blog back to a more personal level. So I am going to start something called "Mommy Moment" where I share something that is going on in my mommy world.

I have to admit that life is pretty crazy right now. I had read a lot about having a second child and found that most people felt it was harder to go from 1-2 kids then it was to go from 0-1. I didn't believe them.

Here was my arguement.... when you don't have any kids you are completely FREE. You can go out to dinner whenever you want. You can sleep in on Saturdays. You can make last minute plans. You can stay up late. You can have friends over. You can take romantic vacations. The only person you have to worry about is you (and your husband).

When you add a kid to the mix your entire life changes. Everything you do revolved around them. You want to go out to dinner? You need enough notice to find a babysitter. You want to browse the mall? You better be able to browse in the 30 minutes the baby is asleep in the stroller before they need to be changed and fed and all hell breaks loose. You want to sleep in after a late night? HA!

So when I had my daughter I wa so relieved to find that I LOVED it. I didn't mind staying home on a Friday night... it was where I wanted to be. I didn't mind being tired because we could snuggle on the couch all day. I didn't mind not being able to shop.... ok, yeah I missed that. But with online shopping what are you really missing?

I was already in the mommy groove and I figured adding one more to the mix would be easy.

WRONG!

Going from 1 kid to 2 kids was a whole new world. We had just gotten into an awesome groove with my daughter. She was potty trained.... in a big girl bed... sleeping 11 hours at night.... and was fun to take out to places. All of that went out the window. Not only were we starting over with the diapers, midnight feedings, massive amounts of laundry, being chained to the house during flu season challenges... but now we had a whole new set of challenges to add to the bag.

Now we had a 3 year old who needs to get to dance class by 9:30.... ummm... 9:30! We are lucky if we have our acts together by 10:30. Then we get home and she wants to eat... and so does he. He's screaming... so she starts screaming. Now she needs to go down for a nap but she wants me to read her a story... but he just had a big poop and he wants to eat. I feel torn in half and exhausted all day long!

Here's the good news. It's getting easier. We are 6 weeks in to being a family of four and we are getting in a groove. The little man is sleeping better and is happier hanging out and doesn't need to be held all day. My daughter is becoming more independent and more helpful. She is really enjoying her baby brother.

It's still hard... but we are getting there! How was your adjustment to one kid? Two kids? More?

3 comments:

Laurel said...

My adjustment to one kid was hard but I feel that we finally got the hang of it recently...2 1/2 years later! I have had a few friends tell me already that it's harder to go from 1-2. It scares me but I guess it's just something you have to dive into! We aren't thinking of #2 any time soon but at least I've been warned!

Lara said...

It's hard but totally worth it! Best of luck to you!!

Blogger said...

Just got my check for $500.

Sometimes people don't believe me when I tell them about how much you can make filling out paid surveys online...

So I took a video of myself actually getting paid $500 for paid surveys to set the record straight.