Saturday, January 14, 2012

Here's to Healthy Snacking!

The New Year is upon us and I don't know about you but I am looking forward to a new me! I've pretty much given up on diets. Depriving myself of things or eating the same thing day after day has never worked for me. I tried Weight Watchers a few years ago and was hugely successful! I lost 30 pounds in about 8 months and was able to keep it off until my daughter was born.

So since getting to meetings and weigh in's has taken on a new challenge with a toddler in tow, this year I am making changes. I am going to be much more conscious of what I am eating and when. I don't need to give up ice cream and cake, but having it once every few weeks should be enough. Making small changes can make a big difference! So here are some tips for making better choices in a New Year!

1. Stock your house - Throw out or donate the things you know you shouldn't be eating. I got rid of a whole basket full of candy that I don't need. Most of it wasn't even stuff I really liked but in a weak moment would eat for sure. I instead filled my cabinet and fridge with healthy options that I still enjoy. Fruit and yogurt in the fridge, pretzels and nuts in the closet. I always have veggies in the fridge and freezer and try to eat a bunch at dinner so I don't snack later in the evening.

2. Make a family effort - There's nothing worse than watching someone else eat cake when you are trying to lose weight. Make a decision as a family that you are all going to eat better. I feel like this is especially important to parents success when you have little ones. I always snack on what I make for my daughter, so I can start by making her healthier options. It's a win win for the whole family. You can also through in some fun family activities to help you get active without even noticing that you're exercising! Go for walks, play on the playground, play in the snow. Get moving but keep it fun and family focused.

3. Reward yourself - Like I said... don't give it up cold turkey! Make great choices for a full week and go out for one special treat. Then keep building on that until you can go longer without the treats.

4. Get creative - As I mentioned before, I get bored eating the same things. Get creative with snacks and look online for some healthy recipes. You would be amazed at what you can use to make yummy, healthy snacks!

And number 4 brings me to my recipe suggestion for you. Who knew pretzels were so versatile! There are a ton of recipes out there that allow you to take your salty, crunchy snack to new levels while still maintaining the healthy snack. I found this recipe in the fall from Martha Stewart and it was SO easy and very delicious!

Pretzel Crumbles:

Ingredients

  • 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 4 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons crushed pretzels
  • 3 apples, halved and cored

Directions

  1. Blend butter and flour with brown sugar. Stir in pretzels. Scatter over apple halves. Bake at 375 degrees until apples are soft and topping is crisp, 35 to 40 minutes.
So don't give up snacking but make some healthy choices! Here's to a New Year and a new you!!

I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Snyder’s of Hanover blogging program, for 6,000 My SocialMoms Rewards Points. For more information on how you can participate, click here.

3 comments:

Mom vs. the boys said...

good luck girl, we are looking for healthier snack items here too

Lara said...

I'm finding it hard! Even with better choices in the house... haha!

SocialMoms said...

Yum! I want to try that recipe! Making a family effort is a great way to eat healthy.