Monday, January 10, 2011

Week 1 Done!

Ok... it's the moment of truth. I have officially been working on my New Years Resolution for one full week. I have to admit that I didn't do as well as I had hoped and made some "bad" choices. The first day went great... then by day two I seemed to be starving! I think I thought about food all the time because I knew I couldn't eat all day long like I used to.

By the second day I had already changed my plan. I went from "eat only at breakfast, lunch, and dinner and eat only healthy foods" to "I'm going to make a conscious effort to cut back my portions and make healthier choices." I'm not depriving myself of anything, but I'm also not going to eat 6 cookies a day (anymore... hehe).

Planning meals was hard. I only have a couple of "healthy" recipes that I know by heart. And that's usually how I cook. So I spent some time researching some fun and yummy recipes. I'm going to start incorporating them soon. This week we had whole wheat pasta with shrimp and vegetables. My trick is to really load up the veggies and really cut back the pasta. So it seems like you're having a nice size meal, but you're filling up on the good stuff. We also had chicken stir fry which was simply chicken breast and mixed peppers. I will keep you updated as I find and try new recipes.

So here are my results...... (I wasn't going to post my actual weight... but Life with the Lebedas motivated me and reminded me that it's for my own good, it makes me accountable)
Week 1 - 177.2
Week 2 - 174.8

Goal - 150

YAY!! I am very happy with my results. This is what I needed to motivate me to stick with it!

So this is what I would like to know from you.... What do you do to get over those moments where you really want to eat? I've heard chew apiece of gum, brush your teeth, munch on carrots. I really need some strategies to get through the tough times!

How did everyone else do? I would love to hear your struggles and successes! And head on over to Life with the Lebedas and Mommy's Free Time to check out their weight loss challenge!

9 comments:

Mom vs. the boys said...

I would say brushing your teeth is a great tip, if your mouth is feeling minty fresh you won't want to eat and food would just taste weird anyway. good luck! I'll be cheering you guys on!

Lara said...

Thanks Jennifer! I agree.... I think the mintyness would make food less appealing. I'm gonna have to try it. This is going to be a long road of ups and downs, I'm sure!

Jenn said...

Yea!! Congrats on the weight loss this week! :D Planning is so hard. It's my least favorite. I might have to start the weight watcher approach and write everything down to make myself that much more accountable. :D I don't know yet. We'll see how this week goes. We're off to a rough start but will get in the swing of things tomorrow.

Thanks for linking up! I'm so glad that your participating in this! :D

S Club Mama said...

Great start! And good for you for looking up healthy recipes. I just stick to our normal recipes and eat more vegetables and watch my portions.

So I have a bad habit of snacking, seriously. So I do the gum thing or brush my teeth thing. Try mouth wash though because it's STRONG flavor that will make food taste yuck after you swish with it. Drinking a giant glass of water (or Crystal Light flavored water) is another good choice. Hydrates you and fills you up.

Lara said...

Those are great ideas! I have the hardest time drinking enough water. I need to make a conscious effort to drink more. Thanks so much for sharing!

Unknown said...

Way to go girl! I'm so excited that you've joined in.

katiecupcakes said...

Last year I went on a cheese and wine diet, having my norm of coffee and cereal for breakfast, and then for lunch and dinner I'd have a combo of different crackers, different cheeses, cold cuts (some sliced ham or turkey with the cheese on a cracker), and a glass or two of wine with 'dinner' and I actually lost some weight. I started my "diet" again tonight- so we'll see if it works again, or if it was just a fluke the first time. For $130 in fancy cheeses, wines, and crackers, it better work!

Lara said...

Hmmmm.... that sounds like an interesting and tasty diet! I think I could do that one!

Ambrosia said...

If I'm just wanting a snack, but know I'm not hungry I'll go brush my teeth, like others said. If I need a snack, though my go-to is popcorn! You can either airpop, spray with Pam and then sprinkle with seasonings, or you can get some of those healthier microwave versions. Either way, you get a lot for few calories AND the fiber helps to fill you!