Sunday, January 24, 2010

Signing Time?

When I first found out I was pregnant I subscribed to a newsletter from Baby Center. This newsletter came in my e-mail every week, and told me a little bit about what to expect at that point in my pregnancy and what was happening with the baby's development. Needless to say, I looked forward to that e-mail every week! Especially the part where they would compare the size of the baby to a fruit. "This week your baby is the size of a kumquat." So much fun!

So, after my baby was born I was able to update my newsletter to my baby's age. This week I got my "Your 7 month 4 week old." One of the things that it talked about for this stage in my daughters life was sign language. I myself know a lot of sign language since I used to work at a school for deaf and hard of hearing students. I'm also a pretty firm believe that signing is a great way to give your little one a way to communicate with you. I had imagined that I would have started signing with her long before now. But I never even think about it! My day is so jam packed that the idea of adding one more thing into our day is overwhelming!

But... I'm going to do it anyway. I'm not going to go overboard. I'm not going to sign all day every day. I will pick a few important words (Momma, Dadda, More, ect) and work on those a few times a day. I will also invest in "Baby Signing Time." I have seen these DVD's at a friends house and they seem to be great.

So between my signing and watching the videos once in awhile, perhaps we will have some success with the communication through sign language. I'll let you know how it goes!

1 comments:

Fun Frugal Mommy said...

I think signing is great. I did teach my daughter some signs like milk, more, all done, please etc. She still signs please sometimes while she is saying it out loud. I just picked up a great video at the library this week that I watched with my daughter it is called Signing Time.